The Schools Financial Survey has been operating for over twenty five years, using consistent definitions based on Government annual Financial Questionnaires, Staff census and audited accounts. This helps assure data accuracy and validity and therefore consistent comparisons with others in your benchmarking samples.
For participant security, all information is kept confidential to Somerset Education and report formats do not allow others to specifically identify your school.
With about 700 schools in the survey, you should find similar benchmarking partners. Participation starts from as little as $715 including GST or $358 including GST for schools of less than 200 students.
Through your individual somerset portal you have access to a suite of self-service tools
- Enter data into the current year’s survey which is available from April each year.
- Select samples of similar schools based on geographic, funding level, enrolments, religious/pedagogical affiliation, single sex/co-educational, primary, secondary, P-12, IB, Multi Campus. Or gather a group of similar schools and start a private benchmarking group.
- Generate Reports to analyse and quantify your performance with benchmarking partners in over 50 ratios to identify strengths and areas for improvement. Reports are available from July each year and include numbers, graphs and written interpretations.
- IT Benchmarking report compares key IT staffing, recurrent and capital expenditure with similar schools.
- Staff Estimator uses sample averages to indicate staff numbers for your school based on enrolments entered.
- Trends in 50 ratios for your school for up to six years from past surveys.
- SKI Report which analyses a selection of key indicators for your school from the previous two years and up to five future years. On one page, this simple report compares your performance with similar schools as well past and future trends. An excellent strategic planning tool.
- GEO Mapping provides access to web based potential enrolment demographic mapping tools. See instructions and video
Our research and development includes identifying factors that affect the financial sustainability of schools. This research, together with participant feedback, informs continual improvement and development of new, exciting and practical tools.
What our clients say about our School Financial Survey
I’ve been participating in this survey for nearly quarter of a century and it is the most useful tool in helping my Board and I understand our viability and the financial risks applicable to our operations.
2021, John Dohler, Business Manager, Glasshouse Christian College
Excellent comparative and own school information that provides insights for the Board members and me. A modest investment every year for excellent outcomes.
2021, Brenton Smith, Business Manager, Shelford Girls Grammar
I love the report and use the benchmarks for both the operational budget and 5 and 10 year forecasts. Thanks John, a great service.
2021, Arie Bongers, Business manager, Casino Christian School
Figure 1: Results of survey conducted by Somerset Education, April 2021.